Tyler Duckworth, Two-Time ‘The Challenge’ Champion, Dies at 44

KEY POINTS 

Tyler Duckworth’s mother, Joni, announced his death on Aug. 13, saying the cause had not yet been determined.

Police said Duckworth was found deceased at his residence on Aug. 11, with an autopsy and toxicology testing pending.

Duckworth competed in six seasons of The Challenge and won Cutthroat and Rivals in consecutive years.

Tyler Duckworth, who became known to MTV viewers through The Real World: Key West and later established himself as a two-time champion of The Challenge, has died at age 44.

His mother, Joni, announced the death on Facebook on Thursday, Aug. 13. She said Duckworth had died earlier in the week and that the family had not yet determined the cause of death. She added that information about funeral services would be shared after she and Duckworth’s father made arrangements.

Authorities later provided additional details to PEOPLE. Grand Forks police said officers were dispatched to Duckworth’s residence at about 11:45 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 11, after a neighbor reported water coming through the ceiling from his apartment.

Police said Duckworth was found deceased in his bathroom. The investigation remains pending, and authorities said there were no apparent signs of foul play or a suspicious death.

The cause of death is awaiting the results of an autopsy. Authorities also said toxicology testing would be conducted, with those results potentially taking 10 to 12 weeks. Police said it was unclear how long Duckworth had been deceased, although he had been seen the previous day.

Duckworth entered reality television in 2006 as a cast member of MTV’s The Real World: Key West, shortly after graduating from Tufts University. His athletic abilities, particularly swimming, helped shape his identity on the franchise as he moved into The Challenge.

He ultimately competed in six seasons: The Duel, The Gauntlet III, Cutthroat, Rivals, All Stars 2 and All Stars 3. His strongest run came when he won Cutthroat and then Rivals in consecutive years.

Duckworth later told Entertainment Weekly that he had found it difficult to watch the franchise continue without him after those victories. He said he had competed in only a small number of seasons compared with longtime competitor Johnny Devenanzio and believed he could have continued competing during his prime.

Duckworth’s death came shortly after a public reunion with members of The Challenge community in Minneapolis. He appeared at a Challenge Mania event on July 31, where he joined fellow franchise veterans including Rachel Robinson, Brad Fiorenza, Tina Barta and Mark Long.

Duckworth described the gathering as a chance to represent his hometown alongside other Challenge figures and thanked fans for sharing their experiences with the franchise.

Scott Yager, co-host of the Challenge Mania podcast, said he and others had spent time with Duckworth at the Minneapolis event only days before his death. Yager recalled Duckworth as someone whose energy and stories made a strong impression on those around him.

Derrick Kosinski, another Challenge Mania co-host and former Challenge competitor, also remembered Duckworth as a positive presence. Kosinski highlighted Duckworth’s competitive record, including his elimination victories and his championship performances on Cutthroat and Rivals.

Duckworth’s career was notable not only because of his two championships but also because of the gap between his original appearances and his eventual return to the franchise.

After winning two consecutive seasons, Duckworth stepped away from regular competition for years before returning for All Stars 2 and later All Stars 3. His return reflected his continued connection to the franchise even after his original competitive run had ended.

In a 2021 interview with Entertainment Weekly, Duckworth said that returning was less about proving himself through another championship and more about finding out whether he could still handle the physical and mental challenges of the competition.

Duckworth also pursued a career outside reality television. In his 2021 interview with Entertainment Weekly, he said he was working as a middle and high school teacher while pursuing a doctorate.

His later appearances demonstrated that his connection to The Challenge extended beyond competition. His July Minneapolis appearance brought him together with former cast members and longtime fans shortly before his death.

Yager said Duckworth’s appearance at Challenge Mania was a welcome surprise for both the crowd and the cast. He described Duckworth as someone who brought energy and memorable stories to the gathering.

Kosinski recalled sharing a room with Duckworth during All Stars 2 and praised his character and competitive ability. He also pointed to Duckworth’s victory over Johnny Devenanzio in the famous “Bananas backpack” elimination before Duckworth went on to win Cutthroat.

Authorities are continuing to investigate Duckworth’s death. An autopsy and toxicology examination are pending, and police said toxicology results could take between 10 and 12 weeks.

Duckworth’s mother said the family would provide information about funeral services once arrangements with his father had been finalized.

Source

people.com

10tv.com

Leave a Comment